Our day started 5:40 am. That's 5:40 A M CHINA TIME people. That's 5:40 P M Jan 29 for you all back home. I hate that taking Dramamine adds time to my day but it's better than getting sick on the plane. I did another check on our carry on items making sure I had everything we'd need, and plenty of it for the long day ahead of us. Last thing I wanted to was to run out of something mid flight.
We met our fellow Louhe family, the Sherpa's, down in the lobby along with our guide Jocelyn and headed off to the airport. Jocelyn brought us each a sack breakfast and I wondered if they would let us take it on the plane. On the ride down from Zhengzhou someone was bringing eggs. I'm talking that big square of eggs that restaurants usually get in a box. The ride to the airport was quiet and reflective. Jocelyn got the Sherpa family settle in at Dragon Air for their flight to Hong Kong then on to their home in Santa Fa, NM. We said a sad goodbye to our fellow 1st time parents who we shared so much with. We hope our timelines bring us back together in China for our 2nd children, only time will tell. That wold be so great!
Jocelyn then stayed with us as we got into a very long line for our flight to Shanghai, before our main flight to Detroit then on home. Our flight to Shanghai was on a domestic carrier with little to no employees speaking English, hence Jocelyn staying with us. Once we were checked in she followed us to the TSA check point (all of our guides did this making sure we all got through together). Another sad goodbye to someone who played such an important part of our lives these last 6 days. Makes me tear up even now just remembering. We patiently awaited the 1st of 3 flights for our trip back home and prayed it would be a good one to start the trip off right. We met some guys from the states who were in China on a missions trip so it was nice to have other people to talk to and pass the time.
The flight was uneventful and as you might have guessed Nian was out for most of it. We just prayed it would be the same on the flight to Detroit. Again the food was great. I just love China Southern. the planes are spacious, bright, clean and they serve from both the front and back of the plane so your not waiting forever to eat. Some of the friendliest flight attendants too. Wish we had an airline like that here. The sight coming in to the airport was amazing and I wish we could/would have taken the time to explore the city a bit while waiting. I remember when we were taxiing away on the flight home seeing something moving not too far from the runway. Joe said it was the freighters because we were right by the bay. I had no idea. It was a bit smoggy and hard to see.
| There's our 1st plane.. Off to Shanghai we go |
![]() |
| Yep down for the count. |
![]() |
| Would love to fly them someday with my little Dragon. |
![]() |
| Flying into Shanghai |
![]() |
| Almost looks fake doesn't it! |
We made it to Shanghai and found the Delta counter to get our bags checked for the flight to Detroit since we had a 5 1/2 hour layover. I think one of the ladies said we had to come back but forget that. The guys who were on a mission trip had just checked their luggage and got their boarding passes so I wasn't going anywhere. We walked around the airport looking for a good place to eat and try to kill some time. Once again we had to go through security and I think they even had a medical screening in there too. After we had some lunch we checked out a few of the shops they had there and then just headed to our gate. Surprisingly there wasn't another flight out of that gate while we were waiting so we were able to hang out there the whole time.
We walked more of the shops, and Nian really loved the people movers. They went all the way to the end of the terminal we were in, which was pretty empty for most of our 5 1/2 hours there. We spent much of our time on those. It was cool seeing different planes come and go while we waited. The best sight of all was seeing that Delta flight come in! Loading the planes in china is not like here at home. There is no First class goes on first, or this section is now being seated. People at some point just stand up and form a line. We were lucky enough to have one of the gate agents cut us through the line because we had Nian with us. I think it also had to do with whatever extra time it took to verify the Chinese documents for the other passengers. It seemed like most of us that got passed through the line were american. We had to go through another line where they were checking our carry on bags and if you thought you could bring that newly purchased bottle of water on the plane you were very very wrong. Kinda of made me mad really because I did just purchase a bottle right in the machine by the gate. I always like to have a bottle on the plane so that was really disappointing that I had to pitch it.
We quickly got settle for the long flight. Nian crashed as expected but that didn't last long.
Drugs, that's all I can say. I wish we had some drugs because that was a long painful flight. Next time we'll get some good knock out sleep the whole time drugs... For all of us! lol.
| Dubai airline |
![]() |
| Didn't expect to see that next to us lol. |
![]() |
| Having lunch next to the Ramon shop. |
![]() |
| Stacking cups in the window |
| People mover entertainment |
![]() |
| This was in the bathroom. |
| TAXI there's our ride home #2 of 3 |
![]() |
| Yes that does say 12 hours 36 mins to destination - Detroit. |
We got to Detroit and swiftly move out of the regular customs line to a special line for adoptive families. Joe got our luggage while I went into a room with Nian and waited for an officer to look at his papers, stamp his passport and welcome America's newest citizen. Much like the Consulate office I thought there'd be more TaDa but nope just like I said. He stamped his passport, handed it back, said your docs will arrive in so many days, welcome to America. Well OK then! We got in line with our luggage, got our passports stamped and sent on to recheck our luggage. Oh and go through security again... We were once again moved over to another check point with no line where we went right through. I don't think we even had to take our shoes off.
Our layover was about an hour, just enough time to grab a drink and hit the restroom. We cut the line to get on the plane even thought the gate agent wasn't too happy about it. At this point I didn't care. Your supposed to let people with small children on early so get over it. We all promptly fell asleep until we landed in GR. Nian of course was ready to get off the plane like NOW. I had to laugh at all the people standing up waiting to get off because he was giving them an earful.
![]() |
| I can't believe we're almost home. Actually I think I was telling Joe how tired I was. |
We were greeted in the airport lobby by family and friends and it was such a wonderful welcoming sight for our eyes. Nian was't sure what to think of everyone at first but slowly started to warm up and even planned with his cousin Jennell a bit. We visited with everyone for a bit then headed home. Where we found our bathroom had been redone, THANK YOU AGAIN family and friends. You are so very special to us and we Love you. What a great surprise to come home to! Isabel was also waiting for us when we walked in the door. She was so excited to see us, then noticed Nian and stopped. The look on her face was unforgettable. She look at us like what did you bring home. lol. They get along much better now a year later, but they are still like typical sibling and have their moments.
Thanks for sharing this journey and our memory trip back a year with us. We appreciate the continued support, prayers, and love. We hope you will continue to follow our journey and hope to bring you news soon of our Slow Buss (back) to China. We can't wait to continue the journey. We will be updating our blog still so don't go away. ( more welcome home photos below)
Blessings to you all!
Joe, Becky, Isabel, and Nian
| That's us Delta 1981 from Detroit Metro arrives 9:09 pm ON TIME. That's 29 hours of travel friends! |
| There's Jennell and Nonna too |
| Maymay |
| Papa |
| Grandpa |
| Grama |
| Skype with Uncle Brian who was home recovering from surgery. |
| Likes the puppy Jennell gave him |
![]() |
| Uh yes we are tied, well at least I am can you tell? |
| Can you guess who got all the sleep? |
| Nian's not sure who all these people are. |
| Cousin Nathan |
| time to head home |















No comments:
Post a Comment