Today is the day. As we look back to 1 year ago I can honestly say the we were totally focused on Nian. So many feelings were flowing through us. We were excited, scared, sad, hopeful, joyous, nervous, and oh so READY... The moment we had spent a year of paper chasing, preparing, celebrating and praying for was Finally here..
We slept good the night before, had breakfast and met our group down in the lobby for the bus ride to the Civil Service office. It was nice to have another family, who were also first time parents, who's child was from our same orphanage. I wonder what Nian was thinking when he took both of those long rides to and from the orphanage. He was 2 1/2 hours away from us. I hope he slept for most of it. We had read about how children thrive and change so much one out of the orphanage and into a loving home and that is SO true. Looking back on pictures we have of Nian when he was with his foster family, and the short period of time he was in the orphanage you can see a BIG difference. We are truly truly blessed that he was able to be with a foster family. I think it really helped him transition into our family life.
Our little guy is now at a full 30 lbs and is 3' 1.79" tall.Such a big change from a year ago. We've come through so much and have experienced so many new things. A LOT of First's for us this first year together. And we have many more!
Here's a look back.......
My biggest fear for today was having my child walk in and
not recognizing him. I soon found out I
had nothing to fear as our little guy came in the door he looked just like his
photo but more wide eyed and afraid, my poor little guy. We grabbed him into our arms and hugged as
one we were now a family. Tears streaming down my face, and Joe’s, hey ya'll
should have know that was coming I've been crying for months! lol. Later I had another Dad tell us he was held
it together with all the kids coming in until he saw my tears; they made him
cry as well. Nothing but love in that
room for all of us, not only for our children but for the other parents as
well. Joe and I felt so blessed to have
that kind of support. Sticky rice!
After we signed our guardianship papers we all headed back
to the hotel for some time to bond and soak it all in. Later in the afternoon
we headed over to a meeting room to fill out some additional paper, I told ya
we'd have more to do in China. This
paperwork was for the passports and notary. We had to put our "seal' on
our signature when we were with our thumb prints.
It was a very long day for all of us. We decided to get some
take out and eat in the room. Little guy
also needed a bath. He's not a big fan of having his shoes taken off or getting
his hair wet. Come to find out his shoes
were small, which made his feet sweat, which made them look like blistered
white raisins. I thought he had blisters all over his towns but he had only a
little blister on one of his big toes and the rest was just from them being
wet. The bath went as well as could be
expected and we were off to play a bit more before heading to bed. I don't think any of us realized how long of
a night it was going to be.
That's just part of the grieving process and it will take a
while to heal these wounds of his. But
we'll get there. Slow and steady wins
the race.
Today Nian is so far from that little boy who walked through those doors scared and unaware of what was going on. He has grown and changed so much in this last year. All of the kids in our travel family have! We continue to thank God every day for our little boy. Especially on those few days where I find I'm pulling my hair out lol.
Tonight we will celebrate with homemade spring rolls, steam buns, pot stickers and a few other of Nian's favorites. Maybe try some new silks out.
Praying you have a Blessed day today. Thanks for stopping by!
No comments:
Post a Comment