Thursday was a good day as we intended to visit Grandma and Grandpa, then got to Meijer Gardens to get our membership and visit, then a quick stop at Aldi before heading home. Nian had so much fun visiting and playing with Grandpa that we didn't have time for the Gardens so we just went to the store and then he promptly feel asleep on the way home. As much as I didn't want him to sleep during the day I did let him for 1 hour. This not only gave him some rest but me a much needed 60 mins of Mom time...
side note - I have been keeping track of his sleep/nap times so we can determine a pattern if any to his restless nights. I find it funny that after all these years of children taking naps they are just NOW saying that children over 2 shouldn't have them. I say if your child needs a nap then let them nap! Our keeping track has nothing to do with that report it is a way for us to determine what the issue is at night. So far there's not enough info for us to determine anything, but we'll hoping in a few weeks we can see some type of pattern. It's still early in his being home to really pin point any "real" issue.
Friday was a lazy day which was much needed. Nian slept pretty good Thursday night, woke up once around 430 but wasn't up for too long. He got up again around 630, wanted to watch Thomas & Friends then promptly fell asleep 5 mins later the little stinker. But we love him all the same, sleep or not. We did have to make a quick run out and about for a few hours and of course another nap was had in the car, lol. I had purchased an Easter Suit for Nian that half fit him. While the pants were slightly too long, the shirt was way too small. Seriously how can these two items of the same size be SO far off??? Once back home we colored a Batman picture for Baba AND made him his favorite cookies. Now you tell me who's the spoiled one in this house!? lol...
Saturday I took a few hours to pamper myself with a much needed sister/pedi/bonding/lunch time. The only thing missing I'm embarrassed to say was my Starbucks coffee drink! That will happen when your running a bit behind. I am proud to say that while I did tear up upon leaving the house without Nian for the first time I did not all out bawl as I imagined I would. And my darling little boy just gave me a kiss and waved goodbye. SO thankful for us both to not cry about it! :-) He needed his own bonding/lunch time with Baba.
Later in the day we headed out to my parents, I did get my Starbucks drink at this point of the day and of course, Nian feel asleep. Once there he let Grandma sit by him while he slowly woke up. But again Papa was the star of the day. I'm not sure why he has connected with either Grandma at this point but at least I can reassure them both that it's just a "grandma" thing. My nephew was also there with his son so that gave Nian a chance to play with someone more his size and "learn" to
Sunday/today. So far the day has been very pleasant. HE SLEPT ALL NIGHT!!!!! He fell asleep 930/10 and didn't wake up until around 630 am. AND he slept IN HIS OWN BED ALL NIGHT!!! Bonus for us! I have been working all week to put him in his own bed, but usually when he awakes during the night I bring him back (don't judge us) to our bed for fear of him waking shortly after being back in his own bed. YES I am aware that it might not be the typical thing parents do and I shouldn't have to explain it but I will. While in foster care Nian co-slept with his foster parents, which is VERY common in China. Upon returning to the orphanage, he was put in a crib, something he probably doesn't remember ever being in. Imagine how big of a change that was on top of everything else. We have kept to this co-sleep routine with him as it is familiar and is a comfort. Working on getting him into his bed will take time, patience, and trust. Just like our Cocooning allows us to work on these things as parents and a family, our bedtime routine will work the same way. Today we are just going to be a lazy family and hang out, play, and watch some new movies. Maybe go for a walk of the sun stays out a little longer and the wind calms down a bit.
Today I plan to introduce him to NEMO. One of my favorite Disney movies. He already like Cars and Mator so I'm sure he'll quickly come to love Nemo too. We have a big book of Disney stories and he likes to match the pictures to the TV.
Thank you for your continued support, prayers and love. This little guy amazes me everyday with how far he has come in such a short period of time. We have been home a full month now and looking back it's hard to believe where we were and how we interacted with each other. I love to see him open up to our parents. We hope to start introducing him to our siblings and then our friends. He has such a big fan and support group out there with so many people waiting to meet him. Please continue to be patient with us as we are learning and building our bond of trust and attachment. He just now came into the kitchen to say Maaa and blow me a kiss. LOVE this kid!!!
Please remember when we do see you and say hello to respect his space and need to enjoy you from a short distance. He will need a some time to get use to you being close by, it may even take a few visits. We know how exciting the time will be for you both! May "The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26
As we start to watch Finding Nemo here are some "Nemo" moments from our trip to the Aquarium. Enjoy!
![]() |
| DUDE |
![]() |
| Just keep swimming. |
| Can you find Nemo? |
![]() |
| Ello, My names Bruce! |



Praying for you as you transition!!! I think whether a child naps or not depends on how much sleep they are getting in a 24hr period. Kids at the age of 2 need at minimum 12 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period, but sometimes up to 15 hours, depending on the kid. My Ellie would sleep the solid 12 at night and then take a 2 and 1/2 hour nap every afternoon the year she was 2. When she dropped naps around 3.5 yrs old, she would sleep 13 hours at night, sometimes 14!!! Crazy! Now my boys don't seem to need as much sleep. They are 3 and 4 years old and they both need about 12 hours total. Bedtime is 7pm and they are both up and raring to go at 6:30am. They don't nap anymore.
ReplyDeleteThanks Holly! It has it rough nights, mainly starts at midnight on Weds.
Delete