Nian had his surgery this past Wed the 29th. I haven't been online much since my last post so I'm sorry if I missed any of your messages.
Wed morning we got up, had some juice, and jello. He started rolling his eyes, one of my personal favorites, when I started taking pictures. He then pose for one when I told him to stop rolling his eyes at me, which of course made me laugh, which in turn made him laugh. I'm surprised he didn't blow jello out of his nose. He went to daycare for a little bit while Joe and I did some last minute shopping, packing and eating regular food!
We headed up to the hospital where we were all feeling good. In the lobby while we waiting for our badges to be printed Nian played on the wall they have there. The picture they had when we got there was a beach with all sorts of beach balls and if you touched one it would move, the next picture was his favorite Butterflies!! Later when we Baba was reading to Nian, and again they got their matching bracelets. He know the stand still why we weigh and measure you drill. And he has no issues getting into his pj's cuz ya know tigers go ROARRRRR. He didn't care for the mask as much as he did the first time around and promptly covered his mouth with both hands. Hence the reason it is hidden. We turned on a movie, Despicable Me 2 which is our new "go to" movie he likes to watch. Pastor came up to be with us, sang Nian a song, prayed for us all and gave him a blessing before he was wheeled out. This time around they gave him some special medicine to help relax him before going in to the room. We were thankful for that since his reaction to the make made us think it wouldn't be as smooth as last time. The wonderful anesthesiologist who took him to surgery was talking to him about Thomas the tank engine and made it a fun "train" down the hall. Nian even gave her his backup beeper when she turned his bed around. That my friends was priceless!! :-)
| Buter fly fly fly if you touch the butterfly it will move |
| Matching bands and his faithful sidekick Thomas (the blanket) |
| Pins and Needles |
| BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP |
Once we were in the waiting area we knew it's be another hour before the surgery got started so we settle in until we got the call from the nurse telling us all was good and the Dr. had starting working. Joe's parents came down and we headed to lunch. We spent the rest of the time chatting about what I can't remember, but I did get 3 of the 4 blankets I brought with me done. I was expecting another hour when we headed down to get coffee and ice cream. Coffee ice cream of course! We got back and they already had Joe in the consult room, we talked to the Dr and were whisked away to where Nian was in recovery. Surgery went wonderful, and exactly as the Dr expected. Nian did great the whole time under and we are SO thankful to GOD and all of you who prayed with us and for us.
I don't know what I was expecting with such a major surgery, but it was nothing like what the next few hours held for any of us. I honestly felt like we were back in China and it was our first night with Nian. Except this time I KNEW I could comfort him, and I KNEW he would be ok. This type of surgery is NOT a cakewalk and I am glad/praying he will not remember this experience in the future. His pain is so much less today than it was and will continue to lessen each day. It's never easy to watch you children hurt, two or four legged kids!!! I remember one of the nurses telling me that it's ok to cry mama because everyone does and another adding to it that there were many mama nurses in the PICU and we would have so much support from them once we were up there. I was glad to hear that because really how does one sleep when there's a machine hooked to your child that counts the number of breaths they take!? What another blessing we have to be in a city with such a great children's hospital and an even better medical stuff all around.
Today has been slightly active for us, he's not needing his pain meds as much but we're sticking to a schedule of sorts so we stay in front of it just in case. We'll continue that for a few days. His antibiotic smells horrible, and based on his reaction prior to taking it along with his face after it tastes just as bad. I wouldn't even want to take it myself. ICK... He does like all the new sippy cups we have and usually has 3 of them going at once. I did find out he LOVES golden butternut squash soup. I wasn't sure he would when I tasted it, but he likes it as much as I do. WOO HOO another person in the house to share my squash with. Oh wait maybe I shouldn't woo hoo since I'll have to share now. LOL..
Tomorrow we might venture out a bit, but we'll see how he's feeling. Don't want to rush him but he does like to walk up and down the streets. I have the house open today, which is amazing. We have a great breeze going right now and it's nice to get some fresh air inside.
Thank you all again for your thoughts, kind words, and prayers for all of us during this week. I'd like to ask for your continued prayers as Nian heals over the next few months. I also ask that you say a prayer for a Nonna and Lisa as they both just lost their 4 legged little ones this week. My heart breaks for their loss.
Blessing to you and your 2/4 legging children.
No comments:
Post a Comment