I can't say for sure when our journey toward children began, probably a year or so after we were married. Having married late in life we knew adoption would always be an option for us.
At first we didn't think much about it, we had plenty of time right!? Yeah, we were both just shy of our 37th birthdays when married so you do the math! But it sure sounded good. Besides fertility treatment and adoption are expensive right. So the medication would start. Take this pill on these days, this one everyday, and this one twice a day. Not working; lets double up a few of them, do some tests and keep going! Oh look they have a test that will show when it's the best time to conceive. Somewhere inside I knew it wouldn't work.
There's a reason they say hind sight is 20/20. By time we got to the fertility part of our process it was shocking how low the cost was to what we had thought it would be. Why hadn't we done this sooner we asked ourselves?? I got over my issue with needles in a hurry and soon the excitement of it all took hold. We kept the process to ourselves as to not get up false up too quickly. Sadly that didn't work either. We did discuss donor eggs and were going to move in that direction but our hearts couldn't take another let down. And I couldn't see making a life with no guarantee of birth.
I'm not sure if which would be easier the knowing or not knowing why.... There was nothing physically wrong that was preventing a pregnancy. Only God knows why, we can only guess. It took a while, and a lot of grieving , but we know that God has other plans for us. We just had to stop doing things our way and follow the direction he had us pointed toward. There's that hind sight for ya again!
We started our adoption process in March of 2013. China was our first choice but financially was out of our reach. We went to a local agency's informational meeting and decided on a domestic adoption. We only told family and a few close friends what our plans were as we hadn't "officially" filed any applications nor had we been accepted. It was shortly after that Joe had some major allergy issues. We put the brakes on the adoption works until we could figure out what was wrong. Very rough few months for him with different meds, a sleep study, and many sleepless nights in the recliner. The Blessing of it all is that he started allergy shots.
God works in mysterious ways. I believe everything happens for a reason. You might not know what that reason is right away, or a few months later, or ever... But there is a reason for everything.
Our lives were forever changed in the fall of 2013 when we went to the dentist office for our annual cleanings. We just happened to have our appointments back to back that day. I have had the same hygienist for I can't even remember how long. I was overjoyed when she started back to work once a month. I made sure I ALWAYS had my appointment with her no matter what. (Sorry Jill) Not only did she clean my teeth but she was a friend and I enjoyed hearing what was new with her family. Hey if you have to go to the dentist you might as well get some joy out of it!
And so our story begins!
No comments:
Post a Comment