My first night away went without a hitch. It was probably worse for me than it was for Nian. When I did call to say good night he was already asleep, probably from his big day of activities unknown. I however, broke down a little that I had to quick get off the phone before I totally lost it. Which would be ok if I hadn't been in Bronner's at the time of the phone call. While I tried not to go over board getting all sorts of Christmas for Nian, I did find a few things that I hope he'll remember and consider a "tradition" for his kids as well. I am so very excited to watch him experience the celebration of our Lord and Saviors birth!
| Each year I bring Joe home a traditional Bavarian pretzel. Nian got one too, and as you can see it's bigger than his head. He thought it was the funniest thing! |
But lets not get too far ahead......
Nian got to experience our first snowfall of the year. Yes we had snow when we got home but this is his first "snow fall" experience. He promptly played with Baba and Isabel in the back yard. I have the foot prints to prove it. I will be cherishing these for years to come. Both the kids prints next to each other. Now I don't imagine that they were put there at the same time, but Mama can pretend they were! ;-)
Nian helped us put together our Thanksgiving baskets our church does each year. He had a great time with his Daddy collecting and moving the food from 1 location to another. He's such a great helper and already learning how it is better to give then receive. What a wonderful lesson for us all to continue to learn.
This past week he has been in "Firsts" overload. He had his first birthday celebration at home. We're not sure if they celebrated any of his birthdays in China, so we consider this his 3rd/1st Birthday. He opened his first present from Daddy and Mommy in the morning, and since I was off all day we got to hang out in pj's until I had to get everything ready for his party. He spent a few hours with Aunt Shellee before welcoming his guest to his party. He was really surprised and excited to see all the Thomas going on. Nonna made him an awesome Thomas cupcake train, and we had Thomas gift bags for the kids. We received a lot of donations to send over to his orphanage in China for the kids there.
| Chug a chug a chug a chug a Woo woo |
The following day he experienced his first Thanksgiving day. While I'm not sure he understands the meaning of it yet, he understood the eating part of it all. He had a great day playing with his cousins and of course we had cupcakes for dessert. Yeah we still have some today too, but I think we're down to the last of them and they'll be gone before too long.
Friday morning Nian told me no work, and I re assured him that Mommy wasn't going to work I was headed to the store for a few hours. Mark that one as his first experience with Black Friday shopping. Yeah it counts in my book so go with it! lol :-)
Saturday brought on his 1st Christmas tree, at least we think it's his first, who knows it could be his 2nd. But it's his 1st with us. We put the tree up and Baba put the snowman, and wreath around the lamp outside. Nian put the Angel atop our tree, with some help from Joe. We also set up Nian's little people nativity. He thought that was the BEST thing ever! My little child of God knows what the season is all about in his own way. He watched Frosty the Snowman for the 1st time too!
| Frosty, the tree, and the Nativity |
Today he helped with his first thank you cards, and decorated the tree. He also hung up his stocking, along with Isabel's, Joe's and mine. Then he had to move his next to Isabel cuz ya know she's cool and he loves her. When their not annoying each other. Typical siblings! We did however have to explain that this stocking was hung up, NOT put on your feet!
| Putting the last ornament on the tree. |
We can't wait to continue to watching him and his many Firsts. He is such a blessing to us and we can't imagine or remember life without him. It's hard to believe he hasn't been with us these last 3 years. While we wish he could have skipped the heartache and unknown the time before he came to us, we know it's a part of who he is and will help shape who he becomes. But we won't try to rush his growing up at all. We know to love every minute with him, and to cherish each moment and make many memories. He won't be this age ever again.
We hope you spend these next 25 days, and many days after, remember the Reason for this Season. We pray the good Lord continues to bless you and minister to your needs. We know life isn't always full of fun and happy times. We also know that God is always with us and will bring us though everything.
Blessings to you!
No comments:
Post a Comment