1 Samuel 2

Don't resent God's timing His blessings might not be immediate, but they will come if we are faithful to do what he says in his word! 1 Samuel 2

2014 Year of the Horse

2014 Year of the Horse

Sunday, June 23, 2019

A much needed break

Last week we took a much needed break and headed North..  They say in Michigan we measure distance by time.  Well yes it take 2 hours to get to our favorite stop in Kalkaska, then another 1.5 hours to our home away from home in Mackinaw.  However when we make a few other stops it can take most of the day.  But that's ok because we were North....  and not at work....  and it was raining but that's ok...  we were north...  and not at work.....

Backing up a bit since our last post.....   Someone really likes their bike with no training wheels.  He's even learned to take off on his own which he loves, so just about every night he's asked to go for a bike ride. We also hung out at school one night so Nian could show me how he can do the monkey bars.  Where did that shy little boy go?  It's so great to see how far out of his shell he has come and how much more confident he is.  I know next year when he's the "bigger" kid in class he'll gain even more as he helps the kindergartners  in his class.  and of course we had to end the year as we started with FROSTY BOY!!!!  Good stuff...
 







We have the chance to help the field school over the summer as well which is exciting.  We've signed up to help water and weed the garden, as well as water and feed the chickens.  Bonus if they lay any eggs we can keep them! The Buss boys sure do like their eggs!



We saw a hawk hanging out at the school just a block over and then a babyish bird hanging in the back yard.   sure hope the little guy made it to safety.  We also have a resident bunny that likes to eat our dandelions.  You go bunny.




We helped celebrate my great nephew Isaac's 2nd birthday!  So wonderful to have all the little together. We are blessed to have them all in the family, especially since our boys came so long after our siblings kids. At least they will have other in the family to play with.

The boys patiently waiting for the Birthday boy to arrive.

Birthday hula everyone!




Joe and I had a date night out with a couples night at church. It was a lot of fun and the kids stayed with Aunt Brenda so that was an extra bonus. That's all I can share about that! 😜💏


So last Thursday we packed the van, dropped Isabel at Aunt Shellee's and headed NORTH! The boys had been talking about going to Ms. Sherry's all week long and were super excited to get back up there.  and let's face it so were Joe and I!  We took our time as it was wonderful rainy weather. We stopped at our usual lunch break in Kalkaska.  The McDonalds south of town has a great kids play area and the decor is totally north woods.  We stopped at Oden Fish Hatchery, a good favorite of ours. This time I brought quarters and cups for the fish food, and repeatedly told Cheng to HANG ON TO  THE CUP!! lol Last year we found a cup someone left and filled it with food,  poor guy when I said toss the food in for the fish he threw the whole cup in the pond. If your in the area you should stop in for a visit. It's not too far north of Petosky on 31 right by crocked lake.
               This is what happens when you let the boys have a camera on the way up...








Deer park which is in Harbor Springs.  Nice little stop.


We made it up to Sherry's around 5/530, got settled in and unpacked then warmed up some left over Thai food we brought with us and took a walk into town. It had stopped raining but was pretty cool. Which is ok with me I'm not a big hot humid summer girl, that's for sure. Nian wasn't happy cuz ya know the souvenir stores were closing and he had money burning a hole in his pocket.

Friday we met Sherry at Millcreek Discovery park and had a great time.  Nian wasn't too thrilled about being so high on the observation desk but the view was well worth it.  And he loved hiking the trails in the woods.  It was a bit buggy but not with mosquitoes so we can live with that. We had a great time and it was fun to learn about the saw mill.  We made a few stops in town, had some lunch then headed over the Mighty Mac to Whitefish point.  It of course started raining on the way up there but we made it.  It'd been so long since we'd been up there they have added a few new buildings as part of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum.  And it looked like a lot of the bigger rocks on the beach were gone. I wish we would have had time to stop at Tahquamenon Falls since it was right there, but it was getting late and we still had a long drive ahead. Next time. 





Cheng LOVED the suits



May not be bare but they have their feet in Lake Superior



Saturday we had a lazy birthday day boy morning before driving to Wilderness State park. They added a new part to the park which is more rustic and are working on upgraded the older part where we always stayed. I don't mind the rustic part they added, it was actually really nice but we'd have to pay for showers and "real" toilets so no thanks.  I'd camped like that enough in my lifetime.  When needed I'll do it, but for a few $$ more a night I'll take the hot shower and running water!  Oh and I need my coffee in the am so electric too please! We decided to go all the way to the end of the drive which was fine as long as you didn't put the windows down.  Wow those mosquitoes sure can swarm a car...  And of course there were a few a holes who had to drive like maniacs down the road.  I mean really you can't see that far ahead of you and the road it's "that" wide...   It was fun to stop at the Dark Sky Park as well it's changed so much in the 8 years since we last visited. Hope we get a chance to visit it at night. McGulpin Point light house also added a new building, and boy is the water level up down by the beach.  Or where the beach use to be...  After another souvenir stop we headed out to Legs Inn to meet Sherry for Dinner.  As much as we've been in the area this would be our first time there.  I wasn't too overly impressed but I think next time we'll try lunch. The mugs she brought the boys with their root beer were bigger than their faces.  I  had yet another WTF moment and look on my face I'm sure though I don't think she noticed it.... I mean really......w t f


Dark Sky Park





Wilderness Narrow road - this is about the longest you could see.

Slow for Turtles but not touching this one just scooted him along

wtf Batman that mugs too big



Sunday we packed and cleaned before heading out.  The Buss family always tries to "leave the space in better condition than you found it" no matter where we are.  unless of course it's our house cuz ya know mama just too busy to keep it up to date sometimes.... 😌  We hit the road toward Petoskey State park in search of the ever elusive Petoskey Stone!  We all found a few, well except Cheng but he wasn't really looking for them anyway.  Nian is just like his dad - drawn to the water and he said that was his favorite part of our trip - "searching for rocks with Dad"  Happy Father's Day Joe!  It started raining on the way home for a bit, but it wasn't too bad.  We grabbed Isabel, got home and started the joy of Unpacking..  Blah.. 



A much needed break for us all...  More fun happened this past weekend but that's for another post.   We hope you all had a great week.  Thanks for continuing to follow our journey.  I know I don't post as often anymore, the boys really do keep me busy.  I'll be getting better as our process continues...

Blessings ~  Becky



No comments:

Post a Comment